Saturday, March 27, 2010

Pizza Perfection


Don't you just love pizza? My family and I were discussing our local favorites this weekend as we waited for a delicious, crispy, cheesy rectangular pie to come out of the oven from Nick's Pizza in Newburyport.

Nick's has to one of our top three for sure! Not much atmosphere inside but it doesn't matter once you take a bite. We often stop here after visiting downtown Newburyport and browsing the shops or after some fun in the nearby Moseley Woods playground (probably open in mid-April). If you haven't been to Nick's, it is a must!

Another favorite is Bianchi's on Revere Beach. We love the big slices and really dig this one when it is at room temperature. Sounds weird, I know but there is something special that happens to the cheese when it is left to "age" for an extra ten minutes - just like a good wine, no doubt!

And how about Santarpio's in East Boston? Again, not much for atmosphere but who cares once you are stuffing your face with some of the best pie this side of Italy. When we wait here for take-out, we almost feel like we're doing an illegal backdoor deal - since you go to a side door off the kitchen under a bridge. But I think that little adventure makes it taste even better. And I hear they might open in Danvers where the old Bennigan's restaurant is on Route 1 North. I get the shakes just thinking about that!

Lastly, we give it up for Angela's Coal Fired Pizza on Route 1 in Saugus. We especially like ordering our own individual pizzas with toppings just as we please. Make mine a carmelized onion - mmm, I can almost smell it!

Pizza can make a long week a little better. As Kevin James said, "There is no better feeling in the world than a warm pizza box on your lap."

What's your favorite pizza place?

5 comments:

  1. I have had Angela's before only once but it was quite delicious. Another famiy fav on Rte. 1 of course is Prince House of Pizza. We have a lot of really great pizza take out places in my hometown of Lynn. You must know of some working at NSCC. Mediterranean is one of my parents and I's fav.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Sarah. There is something about Prince's crust that I really enjoy. A bit pricey but some good coupons/deals out there from time to time. Great place for kids.

    I don't know many places in Lynn but another friend mentioned some - I think she'll be posting soon, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Monte's Pizza on Chatham St in Lynn has great thin crust pizza and been in business for years....very casual restaurant.
    Edie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Edie. I think I ate there years ago but now I'd like to try it again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also love Prince Pizza on Rt.1. My family and I often buy the pack of 3 frozen pizzas and take them home. It's a reasonable price for the 3 pack and we're able to add our own toppings and make it interesting!

    ReplyDelete